Monday, March 5, 2012

Meatless mondays and the start of a mini series

Just this week the Hubs and I celebrated six months of marriage. Now I know that this is just a drop in the bucket...or even ocean, but I think it is worth taking time to celebrate the days, weeks, months and years of joy. Looking at my blog I realized something, I have talked about life during these 6 months of marriage but I never had a chance to show you how totally awesome our wedding was! So, for the month of March I will be doing a little series called 'Wedded Wednesdays'.

We did a lot of DIY things for our wedding that added a really special touch to it all and I thought I would share those things with you! So you can look for some fun wedding posts and pictures in the next month, and hopefully you think our wedding is as awesome as we think it is :)

for now I will leave you with a meatless mondays recipe (well half way meatless)

Black bean and Quinoa Enchiladas (around here we just call them Lalas)

what you will need

flour tortillas (we do 8 all together so we have leftovers for lunch)
1 can black beans- drained and rinsed
1 10 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce
quinoa
grated cheese (we use 2% mexican blend cheese)
2 Tablespoons light sour cream
and 4 chicken breast tenders for the meat lovers (like the hubs)

We cook these with 4 vegetarian ones for me and 4 chicken ones for my carnivore. So we start by boiling the chicken and also cooking the quinoa. For me, I cook only 1/4 cup dry quinoa for my 4 enchiladas and that allows for about 1/4 of a cup of quinoa in each enchilada. And the chicken ends up being one chicken tender to each enchilada. So, I hope that breakdown helps you find if that will be enough for you.

while you are waiting for that to cook go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 F. then go ahead and drain and rinse the black beans. then find a small bowl and pour the enchilada sauce in that and then mix it with the 2 tablespoons of light sour cream.

Now your quinoa and chicken should be done cooking so shred the chicken if you are doing that. If not you are ready to start assembling your enchiladas! Here is what I do. I put a really thin layer of the enchilada sauce mixture on the bottom of my baking dish. In each tortilla I spoon a little of the same mixture onto it and then I put 1/4 cup quinoa as well as 1/4 cup of the black beans then I add an 1/8 cup of shredded cheese and roll it up. make sure the 'seam' if you will is placed on the bottom of the pan so they don't unroll. keep going like this either for 4 of them or for all 8 if you are making them all vegetarian. If you are doing chicken, do everything the same but instead of quinoa use chicken.

once you have them all rolled pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the tops of them. Sprinkle with a little cheese and if you have any left over black beans you can sprinkle them on top too :) And the beauty of this is the cooking time is really just enough to make them a little golden and let everything inside get warmed up. It usually is about 15-20 minutes but our oven is a little funky (as the burnt bread made tonight showed me!) so just keep an eye on them :)

I hope you like this idea. We love it because it caters to my vegetarian-ness and his carnivore side ;) and if you are into weight watchers, we have figured out the points plus and they are each 6 points.

I hope you are having a good start to your week!

with love from home,
Whitney

p.s did I mention how lovely it has been here in California??

No comments:

Post a Comment